“Talk about [mission] with one another. Talk about this in your Care Groups. Talk about this among your friends. Share what God is doing in you and through you, and then ask others how he’s using them to be salt and light. I believe that we can make an even greater difference in our community as we make this aspect, this calling, to be the salt of the earth and the light of the world, a vital and regular part of our fellowship.” —Mark Mitchell, You Are Salt and Light, Sunday, July 1
Here are some brief suggestions for fellowshipping about mission and evangelism in your Care Group:
- Read a passage of Scripture on reaching others for Christ and discuss it briefly.
- Pray together for opportunities to do good to and share the gospel with neighbors, friends, and co-workers.
- Tell stories of reaching out with mercy to people in need who haven’t trusted Christ.
- Dream together about building God’s kingdom. What would your group love to do if they had no limitations on time and resources? Pray that God would make some of those things happen through the group.
- Encourage someone in your group who is good at caring for those in need. Pray that they would be even more fruitful in the future.
If you want to have a longer discussion, you could use some of these application questions from Mark’s message:
- We are called salt and light of the world. What are some specific ways your everyday life has had a beneficial influence and illumining effect on others around you?
- What are new places or contexts you feel God calling you to be more faithful in being an influence of Christ’s redemptive work to unbelievers?
- Do you see your neighbors, co-workers, fellow students and family members as stumbling around in the dark? As a follower of Christ, are your influencing others for the sake of Christ’s kingdom?
- Does your life shine as a light in a dark place? If not, what hinders you from being salt and light?
- What characterizes your speech and conduct in the workplace, at school or in the community? Is it noticeably and distinctively different from non-Christians around you or do you look and act as they do?
- Are there a couple brothers or sisters in Christ that you can talk and pray with about being salt and light of the world? Ask God to show you how to be salt and light wherever you are. Ask them to pray for you and maybe even provide some helpful accountability. Think of some ways you can encourage and spur each other on.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.