This past Sunday, Braden Greer preached part 14 of our series entitled, The Life and Words of Jesus: The Gospel According to Matthew. His text was Matthew 5:38-42, where Jesus addresses how a disciple of the kingdom of heaven thinks about revenge and the underlying issue of how we view our rights.
Here are options for reviewing and applying the message:
1. Take time to read Matthew 5:38-42.
2. When you are confronted with the true interpretation of the law, what is your initial reaction? Does it drive you to try to earn God’s favor or to rest in God’s mercy? Consider Luke 18:9-14. Does Christ’s teaching provoke you to change? Consider Ezekiel 36:26-27.
3. What are some modern equivalents of a backhanded slap? How do you react when you are insulted?
4. Are you quick to lay claim to your rights even when it leads to others being harmed? How would life at home change if you decided to lay aside your prerogative for the sake of others?
5. Have you considered what Christ laid aside to come and save us? Have you allowed his example to put your own prerogative into perspective?
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.