WE TAKE TO HEART JESUS' COMMAND TO CARE FOR AND PROTECT CHILDREN and therefore work hard to ensure volunteers are qualified and equipped to serve children and youth. Volunteers (who will work with or in contexts around children), all pastors, and all church staff are required to complete an annual application, screening and training process.
All applications, screening and training are handled with strict confidentiality through the Children's Ministry department. For more information, contact Becky Ferleman, Children's Ministry Director.
- All adults (18 and over) complete the volunteer application and agree to a criminal background check. We also consult the National Sex Offender Public Website.
- Applicants may be interviewed or asked to provide references as part of the process.
- Every adult volunteer receives training in child abuse awareness, and training in their ministry area of service.
- Youth (17 and under) complete the volunteer application, and both the youth and parents sign it.
- Youths receive training from other adult volunteers on the days they serve.
Child Protection Policies
Covenant Life’s Child Protection Policies apply not only to Discovery Land but all ministries of the church. Therefore, we require every volunteer to know them. All policies and procedures can be found in the current year handbook or in video format online. After becoming familiar with the material, please take the online quiz.
Abuse Awareness Training
Part of providing a safe environment for children and youth in our care is understanding how to prevent child abuse. Covenant Life has chosen the Ministry Safe child safety system as an annual part of our training for all adult volunteers serving in child oversight roles.
We equip all adult applicants by providing access to approximately 80 minutes of video and a quiz on the material. Your individual access to the content will emailed to you. Note: Portions of the video training may be difficult for some people. Please contact Becky Ferleman or the Care and Counseling ministry if you have concerns.
Serving in Discovery Land
Every Sunday 100-plus volunteers provide care and help children of all ages explore God’s story. We invite church members ages 12 and up to apply to serve in this vital ministry to the next generation.
- Infant Care Room
- Discover (ages 2-3)
- Explore (ages 4-5)
- Adventure (1st-5th grade)
- Tree House Gang (drama team)
- Special Needs
- Welcome Center
- Family Paging
- Worship Teams
As you complete each training element, your results will automatically be sent to Covenant Life Church. The Discovery Land team will contact you when your application process is completed. Feel free to contact Becky Ferleman with any questions about the training requirements.