This Sunday Joshua Harris preached part 18 of our series, The Life and Words of Jesus: The Gospel According to Matthew. Using Matthew 6:16-18 as his text, he explained what fasting is, what it isn’t and why disciples of Christ should fast.
Options for reviewing the message:
Questions for reflection and application:
1. Take time as a Care Group to read Matthew 6:16-18
2. Have you ever fasted? Do you believe your fast accomplished a spiritual purpose?
3. Have you had any misconceptions about fasting? What were/are they? Did Josh’s message help clear up these misconceptions? Have you ever fasted for one of the five wrong reasons Josh gave?
4. Have you ever ask the Lord to give you the right motivation for fasting? Have you ever studied examples of fasting in Scripture and asked the Lord to increase your faith for it?
5. In his message Josh said, “We go without food because we want more of God … We want a greater hunger, a greater desire in our hearts for his presence and his work.” Do you feel like you currently want a greater hunger, a greater desire in your heart for his presence and his work? If not, why? What do you think God would call you to do?
6. Is there a specific area you can identify that would give you a focus for your fast? How do you think fasting could benefit this area of your life?
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.