WE LOVE KIDS! And we love Jesus' example of prizing and protecting little ones and nurturing child-like faith. Accordingly, child safety and security are top priority in our children's ministry environment. We work to ensure that volunteers who will work with or in contexts around children, all pastors, and all church staff complete an annual application, screening and training process.
1. Complete the application
All applications, screening and training are handled with strict confidentiality through the Children's Ministry department. For more information, contact Becky Ferleman, Children's Ministry Director.
- All adults (18 and over) complete the volunteer application and agree to a criminal background check. We also consult the National Sex Offender Public Website.
- Applicants may be interviewed or asked to provide references as part of the process.
- Every adult volunteer receives training in child abuse awareness (see step 3 below), and training in their ministry area of service.
- Youth (17 and under) complete the volunteer application, and both the youth and parents sign it.
- Youth receive training from other adult volunteers about their classroom role. Youth do not complete training in child abuse awareness.
2. Get to know our Child Protection Policies
Covenant Life’s Child Protection Policies apply not only to Discovery Land (Children's Ministry) but all ministries of the church. Therefore, we require every volunteer to know them.
- Review the policies and procedures in the current handbook or in video format online.
- Then take the online quiz.
3. Receive training in Abuse Awareness
Part of providing a safe environment for children and youth in our care is understanding how to prevent child abuse. Covenant Life has chosen the Ministry Safe child safety system as part of our training for all adult volunteers serving in child oversight roles.
- Your individual access to Ministry Safe training will be emailed to you after you complete steps 1 and 2 above.
- Training is valid for three years.
- The training includes about 80 minutes of video and a quiz (to be completed by all adult applicants).
- Note: Portions of the video training may be difficult for some people. Please contact Becky Ferleman or the Care and Counseling ministry if you have concerns.
How do I know where I am in the process?
As you complete each training element, your results will automatically be sent to Discovery Land staff, who manage the application and training process for all volunteers. A member of the Discovery Land team will contact you when your application process is completed. Feel free to contact Becky Ferleman with any questions about the training requirements.
Discovery Land Roles
Every Sunday 100-plus volunteers provide care and help children of all ages explore God’s story. We invite church members ages 12 (or in 6th grade) and up to apply to serve in this vital ministry to the next generation.
- Infant Care Room
- Discover (ages 2-3)
- Explore (age 4)
- Adventure (K-5th grade)
- Creative Teams
- Special Needs
- Welcome Center
- Family Paging
- Worship Teams